Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Families Are Forever! And I am so GRATEFUL!

Today I decided that I wanted to go to the temple, so I did. About fifteen minutes after I decided, I was dressed and out the door. It was such an amazing experience, as it always is! Afterwards though, I went to the cemetary where my father-in-law, Jeff, is buried! I sat by his headstone for a while and just cried and cried. Part of me is upset that I have never been able to hear his voice or see him in person. He passed away when Tom was 14 after battling 8 long years with multiple health problems. I want to be able to tell my kids stories of their Grandpa Hughes and I can't, cause I never met him! I have never had the chance to tell him thank you for raising such and amazing, strong, gentle son! He can't tell me stories of when he lived in Australia or when he came to the states, or what Tom was like when he was little. As I was out there feeling sorry for myself, I looked at the back of his headstone and there was the picture of the St. George Temple! I began to feel calm, I was still crying, but instead of tears of self pitty they were tears of joy. This is because of the teachings of Jesus Christ that families are forever. I know that I will be able to meet him someday and give him a hug! I will be able to talk to him and hear his accent! I have tried to learn as much as I can about him from Tom, Linda and Melinda. He was and is an amazing man! He was very family oriented and he loved Linda very much, as she did him! That's so important to me! My parents are still very much in love and I enjoy watching them be together! I hope and pray that my marriage will be so strong for so many years! I know that Jeff does love me already! Even though he hasn't been able to tell me face to face! He has let me know in various special ways! I hope he knows that I feel the same! I am so grateful to this great man for the legacy that he left for his children, which I consider myself to be, and the rest of his posterity! I am proud to call myself a Hughes, and I am proud that my children will carry on that name! I strive every day to do what is right so I can tell him that I brought honor to his name when I see him!

This is Tom and his dad! I think Tom was about 5, but I am not sure!